We designed and manufacture the WhiBal White Balance Reference Card to be the best digital Gray Card available anywhere. Each and every WhiBal Card is individually measured ensurring that each WhiBal card we ship meets or exceeds our stringent specifications.
Having a Gray Card reference is the best assurance that the digital pictures that you capture will have the ability to be properly white balanced. Only with a proper white Balance can you be ensured of proper and accurate color, regardless of lighting conditions.
Unlike your eyes, a digital camera does not automatically see whites as white. It sees the color of the light reflected from the scene, hence blue-ish in Daylight and Orange-ish in incandescent lighting. By photographing the genuine WhiBal reference card in each lighting situation, you are assured of being able to achieve a proper White Balance, with accurate, natural colors and no color cast.
The WhiBal reference picture can be used with today's software to balance the color casts that various lighting conditions produce with all digital cameras. The best method to properly White Balance your digital pictures is by using a Gray Card properly and shooting RAW. RAW Conversion Software such as Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, Capture One and Aperture and can then perfectly adjust all the captures that were shot under the same lighting conditions. And the beauty of the WhiBal® is that it is small enough to fit in your pocket or around your neck, so that it will be used on a regular basis. Remember that even the genuine WhiBal is useless if it sits in your camera bag.
Very simply, WhiBal combines all the best features of all available gray cards and meets or exceeds their technical performance in a unique package that can be used conveniently in all your shooting situations. In addition, WhiBal provides convenient, neutral White and Black reference areas for setting the black and white reference points using most any imaging software.
What are the criteria for selecting a good Gray card?
• It must be spectrally neutral. In other words it must be gray! Not close, but actual perfect gray. This means that it will reflect all colors through the spectrum equally. WhiBal cards have both *a and *b Lab channel values of 0 (+/-0.5) and are therefore spectrally "flat"!. And each card is individually measured to certify this spec.
• It must maintain its spectral neutrality under all reasonable temperature and environmental conditions. WhiBal does.
• It must be physically rugged. waterproof, scratch proof (color goes all the way through, not just a coating on top).WhiBal is.
•The Gray Luminance value must be in a range that is good for digital cameras. WhiBal rules!
Beyond technical specifications, the most important aspect of a Gray Card is that you use it. WhiBal® Pocket is the size of a US credit card (2x3.4 inches) so that it fits in your shirt pocket or wallet. WhiBal will be used and not be an accessory that lives in your camera bag.
WhiBal Feature Summary:
• It fits in your shirt pocket. (it's the same size as a credit card ...2x3.5 inches)... So you will actually use it rather than have it in your bag!
• It is basically indestructible, waterproof, etc.
•Pocket and Studio "Kit" versions come with convenient stand for ease of setup on tables or flat surfaces. No need for someone to hold the WhiBal.
• All 3 "Card" versions (Pocket, Studio, Reference Cards) are just the card alone.
• New Key Chain Card (1x2.2 inch) version comes complete with S-Biner attachment hardware (as shown).
• All 4 WhiBal versions are individually measured with a precision spectrophotometer to certify that each card shipped meets or exceeds our stringent specifications.
• The Gray card is designed for low reflectivity, except that the black patch is intentionally highly reflective so that maximum TrueBlack™ Blackpoint level may be achieved by observing for maximum glare point and then backing the angle down.
• Can be used to set white balance reference, Black point and White point.
• Fits shirt pocket or can hang on studio hook or lanyard. (Lanyard is supplied with Pocket version only).
• WhiBal is a product of Michael Tapes Design and is available exclusively from our e-Shop, B&H Photo Video, Samys Camera, and selected fine photo shops.
Make Better Pictures From Your Pixels™
Find out more about WhiBal: